RecipesHerby Green Sesame Falafel
Approx 25 falafel
- Prep time
- Cook time
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas until they are chopped into small pieces and begin to form a paste. Place them in a large bowl.
- Place the onion, garlic, herbs and lemon rind in the processor and blend until they are finely chopped.
- Mix the onion mixture in with the chickpeas and add salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and combine well. Then add the chickpea flour and place the mixture in the fridge to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Pour the sunflower oil into a 30cm cast iron pan and place on a minimum heat.
- Take a heaped teaspoon of falafel mixture, roll it in your hands compressing it slightly so the ball flattens and is pressed together. Then roll it in the sesame seeds.
- Test the oil by dropping a small amount of the mixture in and see if it fries immediately. Once ready place the falafel into the oil a few at a time, turning once golden (approx 2 mins) and place on a piece of paper towel to drain once cooked. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat until you’ve used all the mixture, adjusting the oil temp accordingly.
- Serve with toasted pitas, pickles and dips. Best eaten immediately but can also be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.