RecipesCoffee Crème Caramel
- Prep time
20 minutes + 2 hrs cooling time
- Cook time
- Preheat oven to 150˚C
- For the caramel, add the sugar and water and bring to the boil slowly over a medium heat. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until the water has evaporated and the mixture is a deep golden brown.
- Pour the hot caramel mixture into a large 3-cup capacity round ceramic dish. Lift the dish and swirl slightly to allow the caramel to come slightly up the sides of the dish.
- For the creme (or custard), place the milk, cream, coffee and vanilla in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Remove from the heat once it has reached the boil.
- In a large heat-proof bowl mix the remaining sugar, eggs, yolks, and vanilla with a whisk. Once combined, slowly trickle in the hot cream mixture whilst whisking constantly. If you add the cream too fast the eggs may curdle, so adding it slowly is important.
- Once the mixtures are well combined, slowly pass it through a fine sieve and directly into the ceramic dish. Be sure to do this slowly to avoid any bubbles forming (if there are bubbles on top, carefully remove them with a spoon).
- Get a large baking dish and place the ceramic dish inside. Fill the baking dish with boiling water until it comes halfway up the side of the dish. Carefully place the baking dish in the oven and bake for approx 50 minutes or until just set (there will still be slight movement in the custard when shaken). Allow the ceramic dish to cool and then place in the refrigerator until cold (min 2 hours).
- When you’re ready to serve, add more boiling water back into the baking dish and for a brief moment place the creme caramel dish in the water to warm the sides (5-10 seconds). Place a large serving plate over the top of the dish and carefully flip the creme caramel onto the plate. Slice and serve.